Welcome to the Georgia Tech Language Institute (GTLI) English Language Proficiency Assessment site.
The GTLI English Language Proficiency Assessment is designed to assess English language proficiency skills for graduate students at Georgia Tech.
The assessment is an interactive, audio- and video-recorded (via BlueJeans) session that will take approximately 90 minutes and have two main parts: a speaking/listening section and a writing section. Your assessment results will be communicated through a score of the following possible recommendations:
- Score of 3.0: Admission recommended
- Score of 2.0 to 2.5: Admission recommended with successful completion of coursework
- Score below 2: Admission not recommended at this time
Complete the following steps to schedule and complete your assessment:
- Pay. The assessment costs $150.00 USD.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about making a payment.
- Schedule. In order to schedule an assessment appointment, you will need to create an account on MyWCOnline at https://gatech.mywconline.net/. Once you have created your MyWCOnline account, select an appointment time. (Times listed in MyWCOnline are in local Atlanta time). You must schedule your appointment at least 24 hours before the start time of your assessment. After you schedule your appointment, the test administrator will set up a BlueJeans session. You will receive an email invitation directly from BlueJeans. Be on the lookout for this email (be sure to check your spam folder). When you receive the BlueJeans email invitation, be sure to confirm the appointment. Please access BlueJeans via the link provided in the BlueJeans invitation email at least 5 minutes before the assessment start time.
- Prepare. You will not need to study for the assessment or download any software. The assessment is conducted via a web-based video conferencing software called BlueJeans and through email. For the assessment, you will need the following:
- a copy of your receipt for the $150 payment
- your passport or any government-issued photo identification
- your Georgia Tech ID (GTID) number (If you do not have it yet, you can still register to take the assessment.)
- a desktop or laptop computer with strong internet connectivity* that has a webcam, microphone, and speakers/headphone capability (you cannot use a tablet or a cellphone for this assessment)
- Microsoft Word document and email capability
- a quiet meeting place away from other people
- a non-filtered, stable, live background
* Appointments are time-limited, so before the interview, please test your internet access, webcam, speakers/headphones, and microphone to make sure everything is working.
* The GTLI does not release assessment results directly to applicants. Graduate Admissions will receive the results of your assessment within two business days after your appointment. After two business days, you may contact Graduate Admissions directly for the results.
*Assessments may be taken only once per every four months and only twice in one calendar year. For example, if you take your assessment on July 1, you would not be eligible to take the assessment again until November 1.