The GTLI English Language Proficiency Assessment is designed to assess English language proficiency skills for applicants to graduate programs at Georgia Tech.
The assessment is an interactive, audio-and video-recorded session (via Zoom) that will take approximately 90 minutes and have two main parts: a speaking/listening section and a writing/reading section. Your assessment results will be communicated through a score with the following possible recommendations:
- Score of 3.0: Admission recommended
- Score of 2.0 to 2.5: Admission recommended with successful completion of coursework
- Score 1 in either section: Admission not recommended at this time
Please note that a score of "3" meets the Graduate Admissions minimum English proficiency requirement.
Complete the following steps to schedule and complete your assessment:
- Pay. The assessment costs $150 USD.
- Schedule. In order to schedule an assessment appointment, you will need to create an account on MyWCOnline at https://gatech.mywconline.net/. Once you have created your MyWCOnline account, select an appointment time. (Times listed in MyWCOnline are in local Atlanta time). You must schedule your appointment at least 24 hours before the start time of your assessment. After you schedule your appointment, the test administrator will set up a Zoom session. You will receive an email invitation directly from Zoom. If you do not see any appointments, it means that all currently available appointments have been filled. Since appointments are filled on a first come-first served basis, you may want to check this site frequently for cancelled or newly added appointments.
- Prepare. You will not need to study for the assessment or download any software. The assessment is conducted via Zoom and through email. For the assessment, you will need the following:
- a copy of your receipt for the $150 payment
- your passport or any government-issued photo identification (must be in English or have English translation.)
- a desktop or laptop computer with strong internet connectivity* that has a webcam, microphone, and speakers/headphone capability (you cannot use a tablet or a cellphone for this assessment)
- a quiet meeting place away from other people
- a non-filtered, stable, live background
* Appointments are time-limited, so before the interview, please test your internet access, webcam, speakers/headphones, and microphone to make sure everything is working.
* The GTLI does not release assessment results directly to applicants. Graduate Admissions will receive the results of your assessment within 3-5 business days after your appointment. After 3-5 business days, you may contact Graduate Admissions directly for the results.
*Assessments may be taken only once per every four months and only twice in one calendar year. For example, if you take your assessment on July 1, you would not be eligible to take the assessment again until November 1.