The Language Institute offers short course sessions throughout the year. Note that Spring and Fall sessions are each six weeks and Summer sessions are three weeks. Click through the yellow boxes below for upcoming course offerings.
Our short courses are intended for adult learners who are non-native speakers of English and would like to improve their English communication skills for both professional and social reasons. The short course program may be a good fit for you if you are...
- visiting Atlanta for a short period of time
- a professional with a limited schedule
- an au pair (review our au pair Frequently Asked Questions)
- an Atlanta resident looking for personal enrichment
Is this the right program for you? Learn more to decide.
Are you the spouse of a GT student or employee or the spouse of an Emory MBA student? If so, learn more about short courses for you.
|Session||Length||Session Dates||Application/Refund Deadline||Courses|
|Fall 2||6 weeks||October 21 - December 5, 2019||October 18, 2019||Apply Now|
Fees and Requirements
Tuition: $315 per course
Technology Fee: $25 per session
Payment must be made in full within one week of application submission by one of the following:
- in person by credit/debit card at the Language Institute offices
- online by international credit/debit card or bank transfer
- in person by check or money order at the Language Institute offices
- by phone by credit/debit card
When you apply you will be asked to provide a copy of the following government-issued identification documents based on your status:
- U.S. visa holder: a copy of your U.S. visa and passport from your home country
- U.S. citizen: your U.S. passport
- U.S. permanent resident: your U.S. permanent resident card and your U.S. passport
You will need to upload your documents in any of the following file types: .pdf, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .doc.
Some courses may require the purchase a textbook or the payment of activity fees. Required textbooks will be noted in your acceptance email.
Choose the Right Level of Study
The Language Institute does not provide a placement exam for short courses and allows applicants to select their own level of study. Applicants are strongly advised to use our Level Self-Assessment information to help determine which level is best for their current level of English proficiency. There will be no refunds after each sessions deadline and no one may request a class change after Day 2 of a session.
Classes meet on Monday (M), Tuesday (T), Wednesday (W), and Thursday (R) as noted in the schedules below*. No classes meet on Friday.
* Example: A class with TR meets on Tuesday and Thursday. A class with MTWR meets Monday through Thursday.
Click through the yellow boxes below to see course offerings for upcoming sessions and to access the online application form. Click the course name to read a description of the course.
Please note that a course may be canceled due to low enrollment. The Language Institute will notify applicants immediately by email if a course is canceled, and applicants will receive a full refund.
Application and Refund Deadline: October 18, 2019 at 5:00 PM
No class the week of November 25 due to the Thanksgiving holiday break.
|Time||Beginning to Intermediate||High Intermediate to Advanced|
|9:00-10:30 AM||Reading Club* (TR)||TOEFL Preparation* (MW)|
|10:45 AM-12:15 PM||Talk More 1 (TR) -
THIS COURSE IS FULL
|21st Century Communication Skills (MW)|
|1:30-3:00 PM||Professional Writing (MW)|
* Requires purchase of a book (digital or paper)