The Language Institute currently has 4 online courses to help you improve your professional communication in English for successful business interactions. Each course focuses on a particular area of communication in English and consist of 4-5 modules. Each module should take you no more than a week to complete.
Are you ready to sign up? See below for course start dates and more details about each of the courses.
Spring through Fall 2023 Access Dates: January 17, 2023 - May 10, 2023, and June 5, 2023 - December 15, 2023
This is a self-paced online course. You may register anytime while registration is open and will have access to the course during the published "Access Period" dates.
How to Register:
- Click on the 'Apply Now' button for the course that you would like to study.
- On the new webpage, find and click the 'Register' button. This adds the course to your cart.
- Repeat step 1 and 2 to add more courses to your cart.
- Go to your Cart.
- Click the 'Checkout' button.
- Click 'Create Attendee Account.'
- Enter your information and click the 'Create Attendee Account' button at the bottom fo the form.
- Submit payment for your course(s).
After you complete your registration follow the "How to Access Your Course Content."
How to Access Your Course Content
- Claim your Georgia Tech (GT) account, set up your GT account password and view your GT account username. This account is different from your account and password on the PE registration website.
- Claim your Georgia Tech (GT) account OR
- Check your inbox for an email with a direct link. NOTE: It may take up to an hour from registration for your GT account to be established and the email to be sent. We appreciate your patience.
- Note your GT username and password. You will need both to access your course materials.
- Log in to your course with the course platform delivery link below.
Course Delivery Platform
Click the yellow boxes below to learn more about each course and apply.
- Write effective emails and correct errors
- Learn about tone and formality in emails
- Increase grammar and vocabulary
- Gain cross-cultural knowledge
- Boost your professional speaking skills
- Practice agreeing/disagreeing, clarifying, summarizing, and restating
- Engage in group discussions, presentations, and interviews
- Demonstrate appropriate and effective body language
- Learn specific English writing skills for different types of business communications
- Write cover letters, mission/vision statements, proposals, processes and reports
- Organize, design and write clear text for powerful slide presentations
This course was designed to help you advance professional English communication skills that you may already have or that you have learned through our online courses Writing Professional Emails in English and Speak English Professionally. If you do not have much experience in professional communication, we recommend that you complete those two courses first before proceeding with this one.
- Study cultural influences on communication more thoroughly
- Develop your email accuracy and style to enhance engagment
- Polish and perfect your pronunciation through more connected speech
Speak English Professionally Mobile App
The Georgia Tech Language Institute and Center for 21st Century Universities (C21U) have collaborated with Onlea to design a language-learning app that is available in the Apple App Store and Google Play. The app is called “Speak English Professionally” and provides a mobile-based course that non-native English speakers can take to boost their English speaking skills. This course is based on Georgia Tech’s preexisting Coursera MOOC.
- Life is busy, and many people don’t have time to attend English courses in a classroom. Georgia Tech now provides the option to take a “Speak English Professionally” course on the go through our new mobile app.
- The “Speak English Professionally” app guides users through English lessons via educational videos, quizzes, and other interactive activities.
- The app is free to all users!
MOOCs on Coursera
The Language Institute also offers MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) through our partner Coursera. Visit Coursera to find out more.