Minimum Age

The minimum age for admission to the Intensive English Program is 18 years of age at the time of enrollment. Prospective students who will be 17 years old at the time of enrollment may apply and be accepted by submitting a Medical Entrance Form giving authorization to treat while the student attends Georgia Tech.


Basic English Skills

The Intensive English Program is not intended for complete beginners. Elementary level students must be able to speak, understand, write, and read simple English sentences before coming to the Language Institute. We expect all participants in our program to have at least the equivalent of two years of high school English.


Academic Requirements

The Language Institute does not normally require transcripts, diplomas or certificates from students outside the U.S.  In some circumstances, we may request documentation of previous English study to determine if you can be successful in our program.

Students who are currently studying in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa may apply to the Language Institute in order to transfer their SEVIS record to us from their current school. Transfer students are required to be in active status and to be in good academic standing at their current school (with a 2.0 or higher GPA) as well as attending class regularly in order to be admitted to the Language Institute. Transcripts are required from transfer students in order to prove current academic and attendance standing.


Admission to Georgia Tech Degree Programs

Please note that admission to the Language Institute is not the same as admission to Georgia Institute of Technology's regular degree programs. Contact the Georgia Tech undergraduate and graduate admission offices for more information on policies and requirements.



B-1 or B-2 (Tourist) and Other Visas

If you are in the United States on a B-1 or B-2 visa, you are not permitted to study in the Intensive English Program. B visa holders may register for our Short Courses and our Online Courses.

If you are in the United States on most other visas than those listed above or if you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, you may study part time or full time in the Intensive English Program or in any of our other programs.

Au pairs can receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) to count toward their educational requirements by completing courses in the IEP. Review our au pair frequently asked questions to learn more.

Please email us if you have questions about studying with a specific visa type.


Sponsored Students

If you are participating in a government-sponsored program, you should apply to the Language Institute through the normal process, as well as provide an original document describing the terms of your sponsored program. In some cases, you may not be required to pay the $100 application and $50 international mail fee because your sponsoring agency has agreed to pay these fees. If there is any question, you must pay these fees prior to the application being processed.