Language Institute - English as a Second Language (ESL) | Georgia Tech Professional Education | Atlanta, GA

Visa and SEVIS Information

What type of visa is required to study in the Intensive English Program?

The Language Institute enrolls many types of students. This includes students who are U.S Citizens and Permanent Residents and others who require visas. The Language Institute is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. Over 90% of our enrolled students hold an F-1 student visa status.  Applicants who are already in the U.S with a different type of visa may be eligible to study. Please contact our office for questions about studying on a different type of visa if you are already in the U.S.

How do I apply for an F-1 student visa?

  • After you receive your I-20 from the Language Institute, you should contact the U.S. embassy or consulate for an appointment. Click here to find out the approximate waiting time for a student visa at the embassy or consulate closest to your home. You are encouraged to apply for your visa early to provide enough time for visa processing. The consular officer may need to get special clearances depending on the course of study and your nationality. This can take some additional time.
  • You need to pay the $350 SEVIS fee before your visa appointment. The easiest way to pay this fee is online. You will receive instructions on how to pay this fee with your acceptance materials.
  • In addition to the I-20, you will need to have current financial documents for your interview.

Before you go for your appointment

Photo of a passport

Find out what additional documents you will need to have (transcripts, diplomas, letters from an employer, letter from your school, etc.) Each embassy has its own requirements for issuing visas. You will need to find out from the post in your country exactly what to do.

Make sure you have a clear plan of how long you plan to study English. If you plan to study in an academic program (undergraduate or graduate program), you should also be prepared to talk about those plans. You may want to write your study plans on a piece of paper and practice saying it, in English, before you go for your appointment.